The Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan is designed to provide NSW Aboriginal tourism operators and the wider tourism industry with a practical guide to Destination NSW’s vision to support the development of Aboriginal tourism experiences and businesses in NSW.
The first Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan 2013-2016 was developed as a key deliverable of the Visitor Economy Industry Action Plan with the vision of supporting the development of NSW Aboriginal tourism experiences, products and businesses, leading to:
- A greater understanding of the richness of Aboriginal culture
- Economic and social benefits for Aboriginal people, both as operators and employees.
The new Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan 2017-2020 continues this vision and has a strong focus on trade and consumer promotion of NSW as a destination where Aboriginal culture is strong, vibrant and diverse while still continuing with the original goals of the first Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan 2013-2016, to develop a sustainable Aboriginal tourism sector. The Action Plan was developed in consultation with Aboriginal tourism stakeholders.
The Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan 2017-2020 contains 24 actions to be completed under four major goals:
- Continue to build consumer awareness of Sydney and Regional NSW as destinations where Aboriginal culture is strong, vibrant and diverse
- Increase the inclusion of export-ready experiences in travel trade distribution networks and marketing programs
- Develop new sustainable market-ready and export-ready Aboriginal cultural tourism products and events
- Build on the success of cross-cultural exchange between NSW Aboriginal cultural tourism, Government and Destination Networks.
The goals outlined in the Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan 2017-2020 are to be implemented by Destination NSW through a partnership model with Aboriginal businesses and organisations over a three-year timeframe. Download the Plan to find out more.
Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan 2017-2020 (PDF 1.6MB)
For information on the Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan 2013-2016, download the Plan and Final Progress Report below.
Aboriginal Tourism Action Plan 2013 - 2016 (PDF 1.4 MB)