Friday 20 March, 2020
These are unprecedented times for the travel and tourism industry in NSW and the road ahead is unclear. I want to reassure you that Destination NSW is with you on this journey – not just in spirit but also in as many areas of practical advice and support as we are able.
We will continue to share news and relevant information with all our stakeholders through Insights and, as always, welcome your feedback and any suggestions you may have for content across all our industry communication channels.
Where are we today?
While there are currently no Orders in place restricting domestic travel, we know many in the community are undecided about whether it’s safe and responsible to take a short break over the weekend or plan a holiday in NSW – in light of advice from health authorities relating to social distancing and Government Orders restricting mass gatherings.
Against this background, Destination NSW is reviewing all its programs – from in-person workshops for industry to event and destination marketing activities.
With restrictions on all inbound travel we have temporarily paused all destination marketing in our 14 international markets and will recommence a full program of activity at the appropriate time.
On the domestic front, our Now’s The Time To Love NSW social media program continues to gain organic momentum with more and more tourism operators and #LoveNSW followers showing the world what they love about NSW each day. While we have paused some planned investments in the campaign, including television advertising, our always-on social media program continues to invite people to post images and videos of their favourite destinations and experiences and to encourage others to dream of where in NSW their next holiday might be.
We are also continuing to meet with industry associations and tourism operators to listen to their concerns and help feed this into Government plans for practical and effective industry support.
In summary, Destination NSW’s commitment is:
- To support our industry stakeholders by continuing to promote NSW as a holiday destination, as appropriate to the current situation and strictly in accordance with the advice of health authorities and Government recommendations and Orders. Our programs will be reviewed in line with changing conditions. Consumer-facing social media content will focus on travel inspiration and keeping the #LoveNSW conversation alive. Corporate social media will provide the latest health and travel advice, updates on Destination NSW activities and, as appropriate, may amplify industry messages.
- To proceed with the administration of the Regional Event Fund with applications closing at midnight on Wednesday 25 March.
- To continue the Now’s The Time To Love NSW campaign development including content creation and asset production so that it is ready to roll out at the appropriate time.
- To advocate for the NSW visitor economy at relevant Australian and State Government forums.
- To deliver timely updates via the Destination NSW corporate website and social media channels with the latest information, linking to the latest health advice and industry specific support or guidance.
- To delivery timely updates for consumers via Destination NSW’s consumer websites with the latest health and travel advice.
- To be a trusted source of news and information from Destination NSW and the NSW Government through this weekly newsletter and other Destination NSW-owned corporate communication channels such as LinkedIn and Twitter.
Stay informed and stay safe.
Acting Chief Executive Officer