A decade on Vivid Sydney remains as popular as ever with a record number of travel packages sold to domestic and international tourists wishing to catch a glimpse of the action at Vivid Sydney 2018.8 August 2018
NSW Minister for Tourism and Major Events Adam Marshall said he was delighted that a record 185,887 travel packages were sold in 2018 – up a whopping 37 per cent on last year’s festival.
“The growing number of international and domestic visitors is testament to the enduring popularity of Vivid Sydney a decade on and a timely reminder of the work it does in injecting expenditure into the State’s economy,” Mr Marshall said.
“When it comes to international visitors the festival continues to be most favoured by Chinese travellers, with more than 25,500 (Mainland and Hong Kong) packages sold in 2018.
“But we’re also starting to see growing interest from new international markets such as Indonesia, Malaysia and South Korea, which all recorded significant increases.”
Despite an unprecedented six days and nights of rain total visitor numbers for Vivid 2018 (2.25 million) were just shy of 2017’s record 2.35 million visitors.
“Vivid Sydney is the world’s largest festival of light, music and ideas and the strong crowd numbers for 2018 prove once again this is not an event to be missed.”
Vivid Sydney 2018 fast facts
- 185,887 Vivid Sydney travel packages sold (up 37 per cent on 2017)
- 73,134 international travel packages (up 12 per cent)
- 112,753 domestic packages (up 60 per cent)
- 23,629 travel packages sold in China (Mainland) (up 3 per cent)
- 6,871 travel packages sold in Indonesia (up 403 per cent on 2017)
- 6,958 travel packages sold in Malaysia (up 90 per cent on 2017)
- 5,298 travel packages sold in South Korea (up 18 per cent on 2017)
Download a PDF version of this media release (PDF 218 kb)