Destination NSW’s mission in the events sector is to identify, attract and nurture events in Sydney and regional NSW. In this section we detail our event strategies and connect event organisers and industry partners to information, resources and assistance programs.
Each year hundreds of events are held throughout Sydney and NSW. They express the diversity and dynamism of the State and also showcase the facilities, expertise and creativity of our events industry.
Events can bring a broad range of economic, promotional and community benefits to a destination - which is why the events sector is such a major priority for Destination NSW.
We take a highly strategic approach to ensuring that Sydney continues to fulfil its potential as a host for global events; and that regional NSW shares in the economic and community benefits created by events.
Our principal area of delivery is the development and promotion of the NSW Events Calendar – which generates more than $600 million in annual revenue for NSW.
The level of support that our organisation gives to an event is contingent on a rigorous assessment process. This identifies upfront the key benefits that an event can bring to a host destination.
Strategic consideration is given to a broad range of potential impacts including visitation, expenditure, seasonal hotel occupancy, potential to encourage local skills development and economic flow on to the local business community.
The ways in which an event can contribute to destination brand appeal and community pride are also part of the strategic assessment.
NSW Events Calendar
The Sydney & NSW Events Calendar includes thousands of events which appeal to a broad spectrum of audiences and experiences.
Destination NSW invests directly in more than 90 events and supports many others with marketing and community programs.
- Downloading the SYDNEY & NSW EVENTS CALENDAR July 2012 – June 2013.
- Our consumer websites sydney.com and visitnsw.com which attract more than eight million visits per year.
Key events include:
- New Year in Sydney: Includes New Years Eve celebrations and Sydney Festival.
- Sydney Carnival: Events include the AAMI Golden Slipper – the world’s richest event for two year-old thoroughbreds; the David Jones Australian Derby; and the Inglis Australian Easter Yearling Sales.
- Vivid Sydney: A winter celebration of creativity, Light, Music and Ideas. Features Vivid Live at the Sydney Opera House.
- Crave Sydney International Food Festival: A month long program featuring Sydney chefs, visits by international culinary leaders, the best NSW produce in unique Sydney locations.
- Sydney International Art Series: Brings the world’s most extraordinary art exhibitions exclusively to Sydney each year.
Support for Events
An important program for Destination NSW is provision of support to events organisers. Assistance includes financial investment, management advice, development of strategic marketing plans, sales promotions and helpful contacts. This section also includes information on the Regional Flagship Events program. More information on how to apply for assistance programs
Destination NSW promotes events as part of its major tourism marketing campaigns in domestic and international markets and also invests in partnership campaigns with the industry.
More information on marketing opportunities
The Homebush Motor Racing Authority (HMRA) has now merged with Destination NSW. The role of HMRA is to coordinate government support for the Sydney Telstra 500 V8 Super Cars Championship which has been secured for Sydney until 2013. Find out more
Business events are a crucial part of Destination NSW’s strategy for tourism growth. We work in partnership with Business Events Sydney to attract conferences, incentives and meetings to Sydney and regional NSW. Find out more