Tourism Business Licensing and Registration

16 October 2014

Your tourism business may need government licences, permits, or registration before it can start. Examples include licences for accommodation providers, tour operators and travel agents, and registration for residential short-term rental accommodation.

Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS)

The Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) is a free service that simplifies the process of finding out which licences your business needs.

By either making one phone call or visiting ABLIS online you can find out which licences you need and the forms required.

To find out more:

• phone NSW Fair Trading on 13 32 20

• search for licence information on the ABLIS website.

Short-Term Rental Accommodation (STRA) register and rules

Residential short-term rental accommodation (STRA) properties must be registered on the NSW Government STRA register, and follow the rules for STRA.

What is STRA?

STRA is accommodation that is made available to others on a commercial basis for a temporary or short-term period. STRA is often facilitated through online booking platforms such as Stayz, Airbnb or It includes residential accommodation such as houses, units and terraces.

Approved tourist and visitor accommodation such as serviced apartments, bed and breakfasts, eco-tourist facilities, hotels, motels, resorts, camping grounds or caravan parks are not required to register for STRA. They are allowed to continue to be listed on online accommodation platforms.

What do STRA hosts need to do?

If you plan to use any part of your property as short term rental, you must:

  • register it on the NSW STRA Register
  • make sure it meets the fire safety standards
  • make sure you abide by the new Code of Conduct
  • take note of any restrictions on the number of days it can be rented each year, and make sure you do not allow it to be rented out for more days that are allowed.

There are penalties for not complying with the new rules.

For more information and to register, visit the NSW Government Planning Portal.

Note: The local government area of Byron Shire has until 31 January 2022 for STRA properties to be registered.