Established under the Destination NSW Act 2011 as the lead Government agency for the NSW tourism and major events sector, Destination NSW’s charter is to achieve economic and social benefits for the people of NSW through the development of tourism and the securing of major events.
Destination NSW is a Public Service Executive Agency governed by a Board of Management and is subject to the control and direction of the Minister for Tourism and Major Events. It is principally funded by the NSW Government and is part of a cluster of agencies under the responsibility of the cluster Secretary.
Destination NSW is responsible for devising and implementing strategies to grow the State’s visitor economy. Our particular focus is on driving tourism and acquiring and developing major sporting and cultural events for Sydney and Regional NSW. In addition, Destination NSW is the major investor in Business Events Sydney with the aim of securing more international conventions, incentive travel reward programs, corporate events and exhibitions for Sydney and Regional NSW.
To make Sydney and NSW one of the world’s most successful tourism and events destinations.
To triple overnight visitor expenditure by 2030 and maximise the benefits of the visitor economy for NSW.
Our Strategic Objectives
- Position Sydney and New South Wales as world leading tourism and events destinations
- Attract and secure high-value major events
- Build a sustainable events calendar for New South Wales
- Increase industry stakeholder and customer engagement
- Deliver value in partnership/cooperative programs
- Develop and sustain a high-performance organisation
- Maximise yield and dispersal from the Visitor Economy
- Implement the Visitor Economy Industry Action Plan